Home » Sathyamangalam Vicariate
Brief History : The village of Nagalur was a sub-station of St. Francis Xavier’s Church, Kodiveri. In 1849 Rev. Fr. Berthon built a church; due to the steady growth of the Christian community, in 1926 Rev. Fr. Domnic renovated and extended this church to accommodate the increasing catholic population.
Brief History : Till 1968, Kongerpalayam was a sub-station of Periakodiveri. In 1968 it was established into a separate parish with Fr. M. T. Joseph as its parish priest. The original church live online casino was built in 1912 by Fr. Petit. A newly constructed church by Fr. Maria Louis was blessed and inaugurated on 14th May, 1997
Brief History : While Fr. P.J. Joseph was the parish priest of Our Lady of Lourdes Parish, Gundri, he used to visit all the surrounding villages with the F.M.M sisters and Basavanapuram was one of them. Since the people of this place eagerly responded to his pastoral and evangelization efforts, it was made a separate parish in 1984 with Fr. P.J. Joseph as its parish priest. In 2007 FMM sisters left this parish and Assisi Sisters of Mary Immaculate started their community with a hospital. Later in 2003 Brothers of St. Michael started their formation house (Pre Novitiate) here.
Brief History : In 1910 when Fr. Petit was the Parish Priest at Kodiveri a movement of conversions took place at Gundri among the tribes called Uralis. He obtained from the government a piece of land, 600 acres in extent on which he began an agricultural settlement on land lease basis. Within four years there were 300 Uralis who received baptism and eventually conversions began to progress. Fr. Petit with the help of mission funds built a church, a presbytery and a school in Gundri which are still a visible tribute to his zealous and untiring efforts of evangelization.
Brief History : The village of Kothamangalam was a sub-station of Sathyamangalam, until it became a parish in its own right in May, 1962 with Fr. C. A. Antony as its parish priest. The original Church was built by Fr. M. Fayolle, who was then the slot machines online parish priest of Sathy. It was blessed in April 1961. Later, Fr. K. C. Mathew started a power-loom factory which provided employment for many people. This was the first important social-work project begun in the Diocese.
Brief History : Kodiveri also known as Kodiveli existed as early as 1650. This is the oldest parish in the Diocese, founded by L’abbe Dubois in 1799. It was a part of the flourishing Satyamangalam mission, which was at that time evangelized by the Portuguese Jesuits. Later on war and famine and disease scattered the Christians and churches were destroyed in the persecution of Tippu Sultan. In 1800 the first M.E.P missionary to evangelize the once flourishing Christian area was L’abbe Dubois. In 1803 he obtained a piece of land from the government and constructed a church and acquired an old kutchery of which he made the presbytery. This ancient Church was re-built in 1967 by Fr. R.J. Amalraj, who was then its parish priest
Copyright Diocese of Ootacamund