Home » Ooty Vicariate
Brief History : This area was a substation of St. Theresa’s Parish, Fingerpost until 1968 when it was erected as a separate parish. In 1975 when Indunagar was established as a parish, Kalhatti became its substation. Once again on the 28th of June 1992 Kalhatti came into existence as a separate parish. St. Joseph is the Patron of this Parish.
Brief History:Records maintain that since 1904 Christianity has been flourishing in Lovedale. In 1905 a small chapel was built and remained a substation of St. Mary’s Parish,Ooty. In 1941 it was raised to a status of a separate parish. In 1942 the chapel was renovated to the present structure.
Brief History:The beautiful church of Our Lady of Lourdes is situated on the Mysore-Ooty highway. This parish was created in 1975 mainly for the faithful who resided in Indunagar and were employed in casino in australia the Hindustan Photo Films Factory. Rev. Fr. Laborde was instrumental in the development of this parish. In 2000 Rev. Fr. Victor constructed a grotto in the church premises and in 2001 Rev. Fr. Mark Montfort erected the bell tower.
Brief History: The Shrine situated on the outskirts of the town of Ooty is a pilgrimage centre. There is a life size bronze crucifix imported from France by Rev. Fr. P. Crayssac, the then parish priest of St. Mary’s Church, Ooty which was installed on a boulder in 1933 to commemorate the 19th centenary of the Redemption of Mankind. The shrine was a substation of St. Theresa’s Parish, Fingerpost till 1998. On 14.05.1998 it was established as a separate parish by His Excellency Most Rev. Dr. Antony Anandarayar.
Brief History: In 1934 the chapel of St. Joseph’s Industrial School served as the parish church for the faithful of St. Theresa’s Parish. In 1935 it was bifurcated from St. Mary’s Parish, Ooty as a separate parish. The foundation stone for the present church was laid on 15th March 1964. On 6th June 1965 the present church was blessed by Rt. Rev. Dr. A. Padiyara and renovated in 1979
Copyright Diocese of Ootacamund