Home » Gudalur Vicariate
Brief History : This parish was formerly a part of Gudalur. It is situated 17Kms away from Gudalur, and is surrounded by tea estates. Most of the people here are labourers in the tea estates. In 1978 Glenvans was separated from St. Mary’s parish, Gudalur and made a separate parish.
Brief History : This was a part of St. Mary’s Parish, Gudalur. Fr. Joseph Koovackal, the parish priest of Gudalur built a Shrine in honour of Infant Jesus on the Calicut Road. With the growth of Gudalur town, there was a felt aussie casino need for a new parish. Eventually in 1987 the new parish of Infant Jesus came into existence with Fr. Thomas Theckepera as its first parish priest.
Brief History : When Mysore and Coimbatore missions were detached from Pondicherry vicariate in 1845, Kollegal taluk was included in the Coimbatore mission and Gudalur Taluk of Wayanaad was attached to the Mysore mission. In 1883, Msgr Bardou of Coimbatore and Msgr Coadou reached an agreement to exchange these two areas owing to geographical, linguistic and other difficulties. The agreement was sanctioned by the Congregation of the Evangelisation of speelautomaten Peoples. Thus Fr. Baldeyrou took charge of the Gudalur parish replacing Fr. Rappart of the Mysore mission years later. Fr. J.S. Kanipilly went to a great deal of trouble to build the new, beautiful Church of Our Lady. It was blessed on May 5th, 1963.
Copyright Diocese of Ootacamund